Autumn To Be Read (TBR) Pile

25 October 2014


It's that time of year again, where we trade in those denim jackets for woolly jumpers, and sit by the make-shift fire in the living room sipping warm hot coco. Now I'm not sure about you, but this time of year is my favourite. Not only because Autumn is my favourite season of all, but also because the world seems to become more festive and so excited in the lead up to Halloween and ultimately, Christmas. Combined all that excitement with fiction and you have the perfect recipe of awesomeness! For me, there is nothing more amazing than curling up to a good book at the end of a long day - especially in the chilly weather, where a lovely story can keep me warm and cosy. So without further anticipation, here are my five reads that I hope to finish this Autumn!


The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Ever since she was born, Blue has been told by her physic mother that if she kisses her true love, he will die. The solution seems pretty easy - avoid boys all together. That however, becomes pretty hard to do, when she's being dragged into the world of the Raven Boys.

Since it's almost Halloween - and I am absolutely terrified of pure horror fiction, I decided to choose an alternative genre for the holiday season - Paranormal Urban Fantasy. After hearing such wonderful things about this book by the BookTube community and a friend, I'm pretty excited to start reading this book. I've heard many good things about this book, but I have to admit I'm rather sceptical. I hope this doesn't follow the same old storyline of forbidden love but adds a rather interesting twist on this premise. From it's tagline, it definitely sound very dramatic and intriguing. Perfect for this time of year!


Nightschool: The Weirn Books by Svetlana Chmakova
In her quest to find Sarah, Alex enrolls herself as a student in the Nightschool to get answers behind her sister's mysterious disappearance. What's worse is no one seems to remember Sarah at all - apart from Alex. All is not it seems ...

After whizzing through the first volume of this series - a random summer read - I become rather attached to this series storyline. It follows a young girl named Alex, who is a Weirn - a specific type of witch. She sometimes finds herself doing things that she can not remember with no explanation. As if 
the whole mystery behind Alex's powers wasn't enough cause for intrigue, the disappearance of her sister of the literal face of the planet is rather bizarre and eerie. The fact that no one apart from Alex can remember her is so terrifying. Really spooky indeed. My guess is Alex's powers are tied to some ultimate power - cosmically fated by the universe -, and someone at the Nightschool is trying to get to her through her sister. I can't wait to find out if my theory has some truth to it! 

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
From the streets of Manhattan to rural England, fifteen year old Daisy is sent to stay with family she has never met. After she arrives, the city of London is attacked and occupied by an unknown enemy. War is everywhere; Daisy must stick together with her cousins to survive in this rather foreign yet familiar land.

When it comes to book-to-movie adaptations, I have a rather simple rule that I like to keep. I always always read the book before seeing the movie. While there are some exceptions to this rule, I've pretty much stuck to it as long as I can remember. That's why when I saw the trailer to this movie, I knew I had to check its book counterpart first. I'm excited to read something set in England. I actually 
don't think I've ever come across a dystopian like story set in my home country before. The idea of a war - however fictional - taking place in England is terrifying, and yet also compelling. I can't imagine the way the world would be during and after war - choas would flood the streets; law would be thrown out the window! I bet this book will make me so thankful we are not at war. So thankful indeed. 

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
Set over the space of one school year in 1986, two misfit teenagers, - Eleanor and Park - find themselves falling in love mix tapes, comic book novels and with one another.

This book is seriously so overdue. For the past several months, I have not stopped hearing about Eleanor and Park - the must read novel of young adult contemporary fiction. After all that conversation, this book has definitely earned its place on my TBR pile ... and sat there for almost forever. And trust me - I really wish that was an exaggeration. What's worse is, I met Rainbow Rowell earlier this year - who was so captivating and wonderful, - and got my copy of this very book signed by her! As if that wasn't enough incentive to get on cracking with this book. I can't wait to divulge myself into the world of 80s,
and also see and experience characters who are different from the mainstream ideal of romantic leads. I'm really excited to get cracking on with this book! It sure as hell has been about time!

Fruits Baskets by Natsuki Takaya
After finding herself homeless and orphaned from a series of unfortunate events, Tohru Honda meets the Soma family who offer her a home. The Soma's however, are a family with a deep dark hidden secret, involving the Chinese Zodiac and a curse that has plagued them for generations. 

A couple of years ago, I watched a very sweet anime called Fruits Basket, which I completely fell in love with. Since then, the story has been a lovely favourite of mine. So this manga is something I am really looking forward to reading. I'm excited to learn more about the Soma family, and the Chinese mythology that follows their lives. I can't wait to see the differences between the anime and manga, and divulge more into the wonderful characters of sweet innocent Tohru, sensitive and empathic Yuki, and the brooding mysteriously sexy Kyo. Yes, I did indeed say sexy - there is no better word to describe him. Seriously.


Hopefully by the end of the Autumn season, I'll have all these books read and reviewed! Unless I get distracted ... by some other books. I can't lie, it's happened to me more than twice! Do you have any books that are on your autumn reading list that you'd like to share? Let me know, down below! (:

Post a Comment