009. Big Hero 6

16 February 2015


Big Hero 6 tells the story of Hiro Hamada - a 14 year old robotics genius - who with the help of his friends, attempts to battle an evil villain roaming the streets of San Fransokyo. 
I have been waiting for this film for what feels like a lifetime, and it did not disappoint! Big Hero 6 was everything I hoped it would be and so much more. Words can't even describe how much I loved and enjoyed this film. It was brilliantly constructed from start to finish, with just the right amount of drama and action combined together. This story has so much depth - and I am in such awe of it. I urge every single one of you who hasn't seen Big Hero 6 yet to go watch it. You won't be disappointed.

If you don't want to be spoiled, I suggest skipping to the end of the post, because I can not contain myself. For reals.

*  *  *  *  *
Highlights
Big Hero 6 was just perfection. There is no other way to describe it. I'm not even sure where to start. There was so much I loved about this film. This story isn't like anything I've ever come across. It's so authentic. It combined the everyday human experience - of family, friendship, loss and adventure - with the fascination of technology. And technology isn't something I'm usually that interested in, but I was captivated by every inch of it in this movie. The visual graphics in Big Hero 6 were so stunning! I was in love with San Fransoyko. This mashed up world of San Francisco and Tokyo that combined the best of both worlds. It was all there right in front of you, San Fran's tram system and long loop road, to the beautiful cherry blossom trees and vibrant lights of Tokyo. Can it just be real so I can move there? 

Every single character held their ground in this film, and were just so hilarious. I loved every single one of them! I loved Hiro's childlike essence so full of check, and the fact that he could also be so endearingly vulnerable. Honey Lemon was so quirky and screamed scientific brilliance, breaking all the stereotypes of cheerleader blondes.  Go-go was a walking swagger machine owning everything in her path, which was utter awesomeness. Wasabi was the pure embodiment of cool, and Fred was that fanboy always high on life. Oh gosh, can we just talk about Tadashi for a moment. He was literally the heart and soul of everything. So much purity and goodness! 

Jesus, I'll confess I cried three times during this film, because of all the emotions caused by TadashiI don't think I've ever been that emotional in a cinema hall - nope. I love the way this movie dealt with grief. The way Hiro became so consumed in his grief and loss over Tadashi - who was everything to him. A brother and a mentor. It was just so emotional! And yet this movie was also so full of life and energy. Baymax was more than Hiro's loyal friend - his best friend. He was the perfect reincarnation of Tadashi - that spoke to Hiro in his most urgent time of need. He became the source of good that helped Hiro move on. Man, if I didn't already have enough reasons to love Baymax. Seriously, where can I get a squish-able marshmallow like him? 

Shortcomings
My only flaw with this film was that it wasn't longer. I wanted more. More time to divulge into the story, more time to learn about each character's backstory, and get more invested into the story. I wish we saw more of Tadashi's character. I was so not ready to lose him. It was way too soon. In all fairness, with the amount of characters and action going on - the timing of his death could not be helped. One of my friends who saw the film with me actually said to me maybe this story might work better as a series - which would be amazing! In the beginning every episode could be an origin story for each character. They'd be more time to explore more and expand on events. And who knows, it might even be a possibility since this movie is out in the universe now!

Funny enough for a long while, I thought the masked villain was actually Tadashi. That somehow he'd lost his memory, and was employed by an evil genius to carry out his evil plan. That would have been one hell of a plot twist. Even though I'm glad that this movie still had the shock factor for me, I wished this was true! I just selfishly wanted more time with Tadahsi, and this would have been such an interesting storyline. I can imagine Hiro and his friends trying to help Tadashi, who stubbornly refuses. But then as he regains his memory, he risks his life again to save them all and the city, - turning back into the amazing character we all know him to be. I get chills just thinking about it!
*  *  *  *  *
Conclusion
Big Hero 6 is a wonderful adventure that'll leave you sobbing, laughing and sat in awe at the edge of your seat. One of the best animated films I've seen in a very long time. Well worth the watch. You won't regret it - at all. 
 

So what are your thoughts on Big Hero 6?

Image Source

Post a Comment